Thursday, July 19, 2007

Judgment and the Taxi Driver

Transmuting judgment can be difficult. Taking responsibility for creating your life can also be difficult. Put the two together, and it takes the slyness of the fox, and the courage of the lion.

I had just arrived in Kolkata's International Airport, befriended a Czech woman, Martina. Together we set off to make our way to the city and lodging. We decided to hail a cab. We forgot the advice of a local gent who said to make sure the taxi used a meter. We hired a cab for 150 rs. As we pulled away from the curb, our driver made gestures and laughed with his friends, the other cabbies standing outside the cab. I picked up on his finger gestures and realized he was going to pull the trick of pretending he didn't understand that we met 150rs for the two of us, as opposed to 150rs each. We enjoyed a harrowing ride through the mayhem of Kolkata traffic, swerving between vehicles in spaces that seemed too small, nearly sideswiping richshaws, and even having a fender bender with another taxi.

When we go to our destination, we got out our wallets to pay. Sure enough, the cabbie tried to get 150rs each from us. We didn't have change and he held 200rs and wanted 100rs more. I was stuck in my judgment of the cabbie... another cheater taking advantage of tourists and language barriers. Martina fared better. She held the space for the cabbie to be honest. She said, "Come on, you know what is right... be honest. You know we agreed to 150rs for the two of us. Don't have bad karma. Give us our 50rs change." It took a few moments, and some repeating, and assertiveness. And the cabbie gave us our 50rs change.

In reflecting on this experience, I realize how often I hold the judgment of people to cheat me, and allow them to because I give into the judgment and don't hold space for their honesty.

1 comment:

Neil said...

Rob, I found this story particularly inspiring! I envy your travels. See you in the wind.