Friday, October 19, 2007

Kundalini: Aghora II Review

I just finished the book Kundalini: Aghora II by Robert E. Svoboda. Overall the books reads in a similar manner to Carlos Castanada's tales of Don Juan, except that Aghora is a Hindu tradition. Aghora carries similar traits to Don Juan's tradition in that it is a power-over rather than empowerment based tradition. It is fulls of rites and rituals that must be followed strictly under fear of mayhem and mishap. Aghora supposedly carries a very "left path" of Tantra in which rituals could employ what other traditions might consider abominations. One definition I read about says that feces and urine might be used ritually. I found no descriptions of such in this book. It talks alot about guru/disciple relationships and power trips to debase unruly egos.

I found the book a bit tedious in it's readability as it mainly records conversations with Aghora Master Vimalananda. Sticking with it, I found some interesting tales of supernatural powers and I gleaned some nice insights from the book:

The speed of thought is quicker than that of light. So that the creative force of our consciousness and intention is instant. Well, the book claims that only the thought of Rishis is that powerful. I think perhaps we are all capable of such powers with some study.

In sadhana (spiritual practice) there are two paths: jnana (my wish), and bhakti (thy wish). In jnana, one works with personal intention. In bhakti, one surrenders to God with pure devotion. According to the book, you must choose one path or the other. An example is given in which a manifestation of water is needed. The jnana shapeshifts and goes down a well to bring up water. The bhakti worships the world with such love that water bubbles up out of the well on it's own accord.

"A real sadhu says, 'Why should I bother about trying to establish something? If God wants me to have it I will have it.' This is the right attitude; it shows that the sadhu has full faith in his deity. Only if he has no faith will he try to collect money, or disciples, or whatever."

No comments: